Each year, there are over two million elder abuse cases reported in America. These cases can happen when an elder lives at home alone or by at a home by an untrustworthy caregiver. Luckily, most institutions exist to provide the utmost care for your loved ones. However, there are many steps that you and your loved one can take to ensure that abuse of any kind does not happen. Here are some tips to keep them safe.
If they live at home
For elders who still reside in their own homes, there are many ways to make sure they aren’t victims of abuse.
- Always be sure that the doors are locked at all times, especially at night. Be sure to lock the windows and any other ways into the house as well.
- If someone comes to the door, see who it is before answering. If they’re not someone that you know, ask for identification.
- Don’t let anyone inside your home, even if they have a child with them or appear to be in distress.
- If you plan to leave the house for any reason, be aware of your surroundings and let someone know where you’re going. You should also keep your eyes on your purse and your belongings.
- Make sure not to leave your mail in the box for long periods of time and drop your outgoing mail off at the post office rather than putting it in the box.
Financial abuse is an extremely common type of elderly abuse and can happen without the elder ever knowing it happened. Use these tips to protect yourself or your loved one against financial abuse.
- Never keep large amounts of cash on your person.
- Don’t withdraw funds from your bank account if someone has asked you to do so.
- Keep your personal information to yourself, and never give anyone your bank account information, PIN numbers, your social security number, etc.
In the case of financial abuse, or any type of elderly abuse, you should contact an elder abuse lawyer.
Nursing home abuse, financial abuse, and caregiver abuse are travesties. Hopefully, you never have to deal with one of these situations, but if you do, hiring an elder abuse attorney can help set things right.
For an elder abuse lawyer San Diego can trust, give us a call today. We hope you never need our services but if you ever do, you can trust we will get you the compensation you deserve.